Does summer time trigger the desire for ice cream? Most of us might associate hot summer days with an ice cream treat after dinner or an outing. Now that you have shifted to a healthier living lifestyle, you may wonder how you can have this cooling treat while avoiding sugar. Even most of the “healthier” ice cream alternatives have sugar or other sweeteners added to it. Here is a simple recipe for an alternative to ice cream. Now you can have your ice cream and eat it too.
Ice Cream Alternative
- 2 frozen bananas
- ⅛ cup coconut milk
- Wrap ripe peeled bananas in parchment paper. Place in a ziplock bag or sealable container. Place in freezer for at least 12 hours.
- Place frozen bananas and coconut milk in a food processor or high speed blender. Blend until smooth. Consistency resembles soft serve. Eat as is or freeze for an additional 30 minutes if you like a harder texture.
Add in any of the following things to create a different flavor for your ice cream. Just place the additional item in to the mixture prior to blending.
- ½ cup any kind of frozen berries
- ¼ cup of any nut butters
- ½ cup of frozen pineapple and top with shredded coconut
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- Dash of cinnamon